Membership is open to all wooden boat enthusiasts. Many members own boats, others do not, but all enjoy the chance to get together and "muck about with boats". Their boats include rowing boats, putt-putts, radio controlled models, pond yachts, canoes, kayaks, steam-powered boats, sailing dinghies, dayboats and ocean-going yachts.
The Wooden Boat Association is based in Melbourne, with regular sailing days scheduled on Albert Park Lake, as well as other venues around Melbourne, and at least one weekend each year elsewhere in the state.
Especially welcome is the first-time wooden boat builder or restorer, who can expect to receive ample advice and assistance in getting their dream onto the water.
Wooden Boat Association Membership Benefits
- Shavings, a monthly newsletter bringing timely news about events and activities in Victoria.
- Monthly meetings with a wide range of interesting speakers. Our usual venue is the Albert Park Yacht Club.
- Monthly sailing days, on Albert Park Lake and other locations close to Melbourne.
- Use of the Association's own boats, two traditional sailing boats, Begonia and Lindsay Symons, our canoe Stringybark, and our extremely rare Port Philip 12.
- Access to the Association's extensive library of boatbuilding and other nautical books.
- Companionship with sister associations in other states